It looks good and yummi, right?
Djuvec (pronounced joovetch) is a type of Balkan dish, prepared in earthenware pots, in the stoves, on grill or in the ash. Today, people use oven or simple the cooking pot.
The name Djuvec comes from the Turkish word güveç what means earthenware pot. Traditionally is made only from vegetables with rice – so, it is a real vegan specialty. Djuvec is served hot or cold, anyway it is very tasty and compact like a side dish with, for instance, breaded zucchini.
In some countries instead of rice people use to use potatoes, zucchini and eggplant can be combined, same like carrots too. However, it is very easy to prepare, affordable and really suitable for multi-member lunch or dinner.
Watch Video Recipe
Ingredients for the Vegan Djuvec:
500 g Tomatoes
300 g red Paprika
2 Garlic Cloves
150 g Whole-Grain Rice
1 tsp Himalayan Salt
1 tsp Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
1 bunch of fresh Parsley Leaves
200 ml Oil
Preparation of the Vegan Djuvec:
- Peel and dice the Onion and Garlic.
- Wash the Tomatoes and Paprika and cut them into a small pieces.
- Sautée Onion and Garlic for a while, add Paprika and Sautée a few minutes more.
- Add Tomatoes, Rice, Salt, Sugar and Pepper and pour enough Water to cover the amount of Cooking Pot.
- Cook about 20 minutes, until the Rice is ready. When needed add some Water.
- Add the chopped Parsley Leaves and cook until thickened.
Enjoy Your Meal!
Preparation time: max 1 hour
Amount: 4 Serves