Vegetarian Moussaka with Potatoes
Moussaka is traditional Greek dish made with meat or vegetables, depending on your own choice. It is made on layers and known like complicated to make. However, once you make it, your creativity can get activated and you can combine what you find interesting or just use your favorite vegetables.
Mostly is made with zucchini, eggplants or potatoes combined with some sauce like béchamel. We did it on vegetarian way, with soya granules and it tastes fantastic! It is light, not too oily, basically it is the healthier variation of the traditional Greek or Balkan Moussaka.
The history of this dish is known from the time when the Arabs introduced the eggplant, in the same time this casserole specialty became famous. The first written document which look like the ancient Moussaka recipe was in the Baghdad Cookery Book from the 13th century. In Greece for the first time, in 1910, Nikolas Tselementes wrote his first variation with béchamel sauce which is well known today too.
So, obviously Moussaka comes from Arab world and the very first name was Maghmuma, but we have plenty of varieties today, it is flexible for combining.
We are offering you a new way with soya granules for better health and special taste!
Unknown things often produce fear to us, however, when we try to get to know them, the world looks different! Explore, progress, cook! Enjoy Your Meal!
Ingredients for the Vegetarian Moussaka with Potatoes:
1 kg Potatoes
200 g Soya Granules
200 g Fresh Cheese
300 ml Water
2 Garlic Cloves
180 ml Sour Cream
1 tsp dry Basil leaves
1 tsp Curcuma Powder
1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
1 bunch of fresh Parsley leaves
2 tsp Himalayan Salt
2 tsp Paprika powder sweet ground
200 ml Oil (50 ml + 150 ml)
300 ml Milk
Preparation of the Vegetarian Moussaka with Potatoes:
- Preheat the Oven on 200 degrees.
- On the Soya Granules add Paprika powder, 1/2 tsp Curcuma Powder, Salt, Basil and Pepper and pour Water on it to soak it up.
- Peel the Potatoes and cut them on 1 cm slices.
- Peel the Onion and Garlic, dice them and Sautée a few minutes on 150 ml Oil.
- Chop the Parsley leaves
- In the Cooking Pot with the Onion, add the Soya Granules and the Parsley Leaves and Sautée a minute-two more.
- Then add the half of the Fresh Cheese amount, mix it well and leave on the side.
- In the baking dish pour 50 ml Oil and spread it with the spoon equally.
- Layer the Potatoes and then add one layer of the Soy Granules prepared mixture.
- Repeat the process with the Potatoes and the mixture and add the last layer of the Potatoes.
- In the another bowl mix well together the rest of the Fresh Cheese,Sour Cream,the 1/2 tsp Curcuma Powder, Milk, and pour on the prepared Moussaka.
- Cover it and bake about 45 minutes in preheated Oven on 200 degrees, then take it out from the Oven, remove the cover and put back to bake 15 minutes more.
Your Vegetarian Moussaka is finished – Enjoy Your Meal!
Preparation time: about 90 minutes
Amount: for 6 person