Fast Bean Stew
Small details make a big difference in cooking, and so in life!
This is a fast, vegan meal, usually recommended for lunch. Beans are important folate, vegetable protein, vitamins B and iron source, low in fats, oils and sugars. Today, there is more than 30.000 bean kinds. In Lent time, on a fast menu, beans were one of the main cooked vegetables, during the history some countries used the name “poor man’s meat” because of the rich nutritional content.
Beans are mentioned first 9000 years ago in Thailand, some kind were popular in Afghanistan and Himalaya foothills, also in Egypt, Peru, Mexico and in Europe they are mentioned only in 1542. for the first time.
Beans can be cooked on many different ways, they found a place in cooked, baked recipes and salads too. It is very important to soak them in the water and cook enough, because of the toxins which are part of the beans. But if we do this procedure, there is no concern about it. It is recommended to use it much as possible, specially in vegan and vegetarian diet.
In some countries beans were prepared for Christmas Eve on a fast evening and also eaten in a big Lent time before Easter.
Watch Video Recipe
Ingredients for Fast Bean Stew:
300 g Beans
3 Garlic cloves
50 g Celeriac
1 bunch of fresh Parsley Leaves
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tsp Himalayan Salt
1 tsp Brown Sugar
2 tsp Paprika powder sweet ground
1/2 tsp Chili Pepper powder
1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
100 ml Oil
Preparation of the Fast Bean Stew:
- Beans soak in Water overnight to shorten the cooking time.
- Pour the Beans into the Cooking Pot, add more Water and leave to cook until become soft.
- Peel the Onion and Garlic,then peel the Potato, the Carrots, cut off the required amount of Celeriac and peel it .
- Then wash the vegetables.
- Finely chop the Onion and Garlic, the Potato and Carrots cut into bigger pieces, and the Celeriac cut into a small cubes.
- When the Beans are cooked, drain the Water, and in another Cooking Pot heat up the Oil.
- On the preheated Oil add the Onion and the Garlic and Sautée a few minutes.
- Then add Carrot, Potato and Celeriac cubes, and Sautée stirring occasionally.
- After that add a cooked Beans, and pour enough Water to cover the amount of Cooking Pot.
- Than add Salt and Pepper, the Tomato Paste and brown Sugar stir it well and leave to cook.
- In main time chop the Parsley Leaves and add them in the Cooking Pot.
- Than add the sweet grounded and Chili Pepper Powder, stir it well and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Enjoy Your Meal!
Preparation time: 2 h (+ overnight time soaking the Beans in the Water)
Amount: 6 Serves