Vegan Sarma – Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Cooking is like thinking! There are different ways, maybe we should try differently!
Sarma, or on another name Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, is a very common Turkish dish which is popular in many countries, especially on Balkan region. Original name is „Sarmak” which means „to wrap” or „to roll”, and it is a combination of filling made of bulgur, rice, lentils, soy granules, tofu or minced meat in combination of variable spices, wrapped in cabbage leaves, fresh ones or soured. So it can be meatless, vegetarian, vegan or made with some kind of meat. Somewhere, very often in Turkey or Bosnia, it is used to be wrapped in grape leaves too, then it is called dolma, but made on the same way. It is very usually cooked on holiday lunches or dinners when the whole family is together, or some special occasions, big parties like weddings, often is one of the courses.
Many people have a memories, that grandmothers sarma is the best one, probably because more you make it, more you become a specialist for the taste of it. Somewhere is tradition to make it with little soup and serve it with sour cream or mash potatoes. On the other side, it can be made with a bit more soup and served alone like main course.
It is a tasty meal, from which is never enough. Sometimes, this cute cabbage rolls can be made small, then you can eat a few of them, but some people make them big, in this case, one or maximum two pieces are enough to be full.
This is a must try recipe, so get in the way of making Vegan Sarma and enjoy the unique flavor of this fantastic and specific meal.
Watch Video Recipe
Ingredients for Vegan Sarma:
1 Soured Cabbage Head (about 1 kg)
200 g Rice
200 g Soya Granules
3 Garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried Basil
1 tsp ground Black Pepper
1 tsp dried Parsley Leaves
2 Bay Leaves
2 tsp Paprika powder sweet ground
2 tsp Himalayan Salt
100 ml Oil
500 ml Water
Preparation of Vegan Sarma:
- Put the Rice to cook.
- Peel and chop the Onions and Garlic.
- In the bowl with the Soya Granules add Salt, Pepper, Paprika Powder, Basil, Parsley and pour on the Water to soak it up.
- Fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Then add the cooked and drained Rice, mix it and add the seasoned Soy Granules.
- Mix it all well together and let it cool.
- Remove the soured Cabbage Leaves one by one, then put the mixture into the Cabbage Leaf and wrap it carefully.
- Place stuffed Cabbage Rolls in the Cooking Pot, turn on the Stove at medium temperature.
- Pour sufficient Water to cover the amount of Cooking Pot.
- Add bay leaf, cover and cook for 45 minutes until Cabbage softens.
Enjoy Your Meal!
Preparation time: 1 hour
Amount: 6 Serves